With a few years of work experience medical affairs professionals can quickly grow to sr. management levels like director & senior director.
A Medical Advisor career is usually the next career level for a Clinical Research Physician. Medical Advisors play a crucial role within the medical affairs department of pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device companies. Medical Advisors work closely with regulatory affairs, clinical operations, medical writing and other departments in the company.
Next Commencement Date
A Medical Advisor provides significant contribution towards the evaluation, critiquing and communication of important medical / scientific information related to a company’s products. Medical Advisors assist clinical research teams and often help training and supporting the sales force. A Medical Advisor also provides an authoritative opinion regarding medical based questions, legal and regulatory matters thus enabling colleagues to comply with the required statutory requirements.
Some main expectations from a Medical Advisor are to:
– Work with the marketing department to develop marketing strategies and materials
– Work closely with the medical information teams to make sure that information about all the company’s products are available and current
– Provide support to regulatory affairs department for obtaining applicable product licenses
– Conduct analysis of competitors products as well as own product pipeline
– Work with medical / technical writers for creation of marketing material, package inserts etc
– Participate in local and international meetings to represent the company
Skills and Competencies:
– Excellent Leadership skills
– Negotiation skills
– Leadership skills
– Excellent communication skills
– Excellent knowledge of drug development and marketing concepts
– Medical Degree with Registration Certificate
– Diploma or Degree in Pharmaceutical Medicine / Translational Medicine or Clinical Research is recommended
For a career as a Medical Advisor we suggest you consider the following online program(s):
"I can say that the modules that I have completed have been very well presented and informative."
Medical Services Manager
Nycomed Pty Ltd, Australia