Medical Director's are responsible for the overall performance of the organization and to take the business forward by making strategic decisions.
A Medical Affairs Director position is one of the top most positions in the corporate health care and pharmaceutical business. A Medical Director is knowledgeable in all areas of clinical trials, medico-marketing, global regulatory environment etc. and make sure that the whole organization / departments function smoothly.
Next Commencement Date
MEDICAL AFFAIRS DIRECTOR
A Medical Affairs Director is usually a certified physician who has gained extensive experience in clinical practice and in the pharmaceutical industry. They develop ways to assess the performance of their company and products. Medical Directors work on competitive matrices using which they gauge their performance and provide a set of standards enabling them to guide their departmental decisions. This position is responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of their department as well as shaping its long term vision. A Medical Affairs Director is considered to be a key opinion leader in his/her therapeutic area and is usually a member of the senior executive team of the organization.
The following are some on-job expectations from a Medical Affairs Director:
– Ensure that the department / company is in compliance with all applicable laws through the use of audits and training’s
– Provide input in the development of all essential documents
– Provide leadership and guide the department / organization towards its goals
– Provide motivation and support to all employees and teams
– Actively seek new business opportunities and maintain relationships with existing clients
– Develop tools, strategies, new product ideas etc for the overall growth of the organization
– Organize applicable training programs for employees
Skills and Competencies:
– Excellent leadership and strong management skills
– Excellent communication and public speaking skills
– Ability to coach, mentor and train others
– Ability to delegate tasks
– Strong personal integrity
– Advanced Degree in Science or Medicine is required (MD, MS, DO, or PhD)
– Advanced PG Diploma in Pharmaceutical / Translational Medicine or Clinical Research is recommended
– Extensive experience in Medical Affairs
For a career as a Medical Director we suggest you consider the following online program(s):
"The translational medicine program was very unique. I got of know about many new concepts related to pharmaceutical R&D. I thought it was a bit too lengthy but in hindsight it was a valuable experience."
Dr. Jane G.
Clinical Trial Specialist
Large CRO, Australia