MSL's have seen great demand over the last few years. Companies want to have a strong R&D pipeline and MSL's are a useful resource to achieve this.
Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a healthcare consulting professional who can identify new potential scientific research and evaluate how it can be transformed into a business opportunity. MSL's are often recruited by pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device and managed care companies to diversify their portfolio's and to improve the R&D pipeline.
Next Commencement Date
MEDICAL SCIENCE LIAISON
A Medical Science Liaison is a professional who can communicate high scientific concepts with business opportunities. They serve as a link between a pharmaceutical, biotech or medical device company and the medical community. As the drug development industry undergoes rapid changes and organizations are making huge investments in bringing new therapies to the marketplace, Medical Science Liaisons are the best way of communicating about the product and building awareness among the public. Medical Science Liaison is a spokesperson and an educator with a bit of clinician and salesperson mixed in. A Medical Science Liaison works in the field. He/she will be out traveling mostly to hospitals, medical offices and physicians.
Medical Science Liaison professionals are skillful in bringing the latest findings of medical science to the people who develop therapeutic products.
Areas of responsibilities of Medical Science Liaison are:
– Gather information about new research and clinical studies
– Train the company’s product teams.
– Contribute to the development cycle of each new therapy
– Organize and conduct medical education and training programs for physicians, advisory boards and key stakeholders to improve product understanding and knowledge
– Develop relationships with new key opinion leaders, investigators, organizations and professional bodies
Skills and Competencies:
– Good communication skills that include verbal, written and presentation skills
– Good project management skills
– Good time management skills
– Good understanding of corporate culture
– Strong marketing skills
– Ability to think ‘Out-of-the-box’
– Advanced Science degree such as MD, MS, PhD etc
– Advanced PG Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine / Translational Medicine or Clinical Research is recommended
– Some experience in Medical Affairs
For a career as a Medical Science Liaison we suggest you consider the following online program(s):
Advanced Post Graduate Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine
Advanced Post Graduate Diploma in Translational Medicine
Professional Diploma in Medico-Marketing
"The translational medicine program was very unique. I got of know about many new concepts related to pharmaceutical R&D. I thought it was a bit too lengthy but in hindsight it was a valuable experience."
Dr. Jane G.
Clinical Trial Specialist
Large CRO, Australia